North Sydney Council has announced the winners of its North Sydney Garden Competition 2023. From lush balconies and manicured backyards to public gardens and community vegetable plots, this year’s entries showcased an abundance of horticultural talent in our local area.
Judge Judith Sleijpen had the challenging task of going through more than 50 entries to determine whose beautifully cared for gardens would take home a prize across the 10 categories.
The winners were announced at a special presentation ceremony hosted by Mayor Zoë Baker and Gardening Australia’s Costa Georgiadis and attended by 140 local gardeners.
Mayor Zoë Baker said: “The North Sydney Garden Competition is much more than just a competition. Whether you are involved in Bushcare, Streets Alive, a community garden or passionate about your personal plot or personal pots – this evening is a celebration of both gardening and community. Certainly, your work cultivating nature or reviving a habitat has, and will continue to have, a substantial and significant effect on all those who pass by.”
Congratulations to the winners for 2023
- Balcony and Courtyard Garden – Di McKenzie-Rabu
- Indoor Garden – Jase Carr
- Children’s Garden – Guthrie Childcare Centre
- Native Habitat Garden – Harry Loots
- Edible Garden (Private) – Dominic Cadden
- Edible Garden (Community) – ANZAC Park Community Garden
- Lex and Ruby Graham Prize: Public Space Maintenance (Individual) – Stewart
- Lex and Ruby Graham Prize: Public Space Maintenance (Group) – Streets Alive,
Carr Street, Waverton
- Most Beautiful Garden – Wondakiah (pictured)
- Nutcote Judge’s Award – Mary Drummond